Tuesday, June 7, 2011

IYFW Coronation Cup 2011 Event PREVIEW/PREDICTIONS

Shiloh Robinson takes to the sky.
Photo: IYFWrestling.com


Back once more with some In Your Face Wrestling previews and thoughts heading in to their next big show. On June 25th, IYFW returns to the Ballston Area Community Center with the return of the Coronation Cup. In this here post I plan on covering the announced line-up of matches that AREN'T the 8-Man IYFW Championship Tournament. The tourney will be covered in a separate post to come, soon after Joey LaRoque announces the FINAL THREE competitors in his next edition of the Interface on IYFWrestling.com.

In a match that very well might steal the show, Shiloh Robinson gets a shot at the New Breed Championship and another shot at defeating "The Pillar" Roman Dominguez. When these two last faced off in April, this was an aggressive match that really showcased both wrestlers conditioning. Shiloh impressed with his youthful confidence, taking the match to the air and to the outside like, somehow, a veteran. Dominguez impressed by stretching Robinson, smothering him. On that night, Robinson defied the odds and defied all expectation. My prediction? You might as well call this Defy the Odds: Part 2. Sorry, champ... But I think your days with that pretty belt may be numbered. Rome wasn't built in a day, but 3 seconds may be all it takes to burn to the ground. Paul's Pick: Shiloh Robinson

The only other announced match (again, other than the main attraction 8-Man Tournament) is a highly anticipated tag team match featuring the team of Adam Badger and Michael Monroe challenging for the IYFW Tag Team Championship against the reigning International Ego Trip, The Northern Stud and Fronz Roddy. Both of these teams were so much fun to watch last April in the BACC and, again, I anticipate bell to bell action and a TON of intensity. Much has been made on IYFWrestling.com about the dissention in the ranks of the tag team champions, and it was more than evident at "Defy the Odds" that Roddy and the Stud are clearly not on the same page. However, Badger and Monroe are a VERY new team. Wanna also see if Badger keeps up the potty mouth routine, or if that was just a one off. My instincts tell me that the differences between the two tag champs will be a deciding factor in the outcome of this match... We will see the young team take the tag belts and perhaps continue their feud with The Uprising, Jamar Justice and Ricky Williams while also seeing the end of the Ego Trip and, one can hope, the Rise of Roddy. The longest reigning IYFW Champion in history is just too good for the Northern Stud and I think we will see that on June 25th. Paul's Pick: Adam Badger and Michael Monroe

With the final 3 competitors in the 8-Man Tournament still unannounced, I can only speculate on other matches, but I imagine we will see some form of continuance of the issues between Vigo and "The Beast" Pierre Vachon. I am actually kind of hoping that they are the final two "top contenders" in the title tourney, but compete in opposite Four-Way matches - costing each other spots in the title bout.

Another angle I expect to see furthered would be the influence of IYFW's new Management Representative, Harold Toush'ole, within the promotion. I had mentioned in an earlier post that I had some questions as to his motivations and alignment (for lack of a better word) after his debut in April. I imagine we will have a much, much clearer on what this dude is about after the Coronation Cup.

Other Wrestlers I Want on the Card:
Liam McFerrin: this dude impressed the hell out of me at DtO.
Shockwave: is he still in the promotion? Saw him in the ECWA Super 8. Enjoyed him.
Rocco Perelli: had a funny exchange at the April show. I was being myself and generally cheering on the heels... Perelli and Superbeast picked up the win and were celebrating in front of me. Perelli barked at me: "You love me, huh?" ... I yelled out "Sure!" ... He replied: "So does yer motha!!! OHHH!" ... The crowd shared in the OHHH and it was a funny moment.
Guillaume deSade: I think it was said on IYFW's INTERFACE a few weeks ago that deSade wouldn't be in Ballston Spa for the Coronation Cup out of protest. But I would LOVE to see him make a surprise appearance, perhaps involving himself in the IYFW Championship match. Perhaps seeking retribution on Toush'ole for stripping him of the title? When he DOES make his return to IYFW it should be interesting, to say the least.

Again, I will post my preview/predictions for the big 8-Man IYFW Championship Tournament after all of it's participants have been announced. Currently the following have secured a spot: Drake Evans, WAR, Superbeast, Ian Daniels, and "Loverboy" Ricky Williams. Thanks for reading and preorder your tickets for the big show!

1 comment:

  1. Great read. I am going to the show also. C u there.

    ReplyDelete